There are a few reasons that you may need to forced induce lactation. The most common is to care for an adoptive child. Even if you did not give birth, you can still breastfeed your child. Lactation is common after a woman has given birth but lactation without pregnancy takes time. In this article, we will talk about fastest way to induce lactation in a variety of ways.
How To Induce Lactation Quickly
Inducing Lactation Quickly with Prescription Hormones
If you have months to prepare, one of the most effective ways to of inducing lactation is having your doctor prescribe hormones. According to the Mayo Clinic, the two you will likely take are estrogen and progesterone.
These hormones simulate what happens in the body during pregnancy. Another hormone that you may be given is a galactagogue to help stimulate milk production. It is important to remember that successful hormone therapy can take six months or more.
You will likely stop taking these hormones about two months before breastfeeding. During pregnancy, these hormones fall during the last two months naturally. At this point, pumping on a regular schedule is the best way to get induced lactation.
Remember that adjusting your hormone levels will have more effects than just producing milk. You may experience menstrual, breast, and mood changes as well. Never attempt this without the guidance of a healthcare professional.
They can advise you if you need to change methods of birth control. Many types of birth control reduce fertility by adjusting hormones, so a new method may be needed to stop unwanted pregnancies.
Easiest Way to Induce Lactation with Herbal Supplements
Fenugreek is available at most health food stores. Very Well Family says it is something you can purchase in capsule form to help you achieve milk production. It is also the primary ingredient in nursing teas. Used since ancient times, some studies claim that it increases milk production by a whopping 900%.
Whether breastfeeding through induced lactation or birth, this is a popular supplement for mothers. It is not safe for mothers who are diabetic or asthmatic. According to a guide published by the Midwifery Group in Canada, Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle herb have proven to be helpful in increasing milk supply.
Red raspberry leaves are another herbal supplement thought to increase milk supply. It can be taken as a capsule or you can buy it in tea bags. It is extremely high in vitamins and nutrients, making it wonderful for your overall health.
Red raspberry leaves is incredibly important to talk to a lactation consultant or doctor before putting anything into your body. This is even truer when you are breastfeeding because everything will end up in your milk.
How To Induce Lactation Quickly in Natural Way
Essentially, doing this tricks your body into producing milk. It involves stimulating the nipple and aureola multiple times a day. This method is easier if you have a partner. The most effective way would be to have them latch on for about 20 minutes, eight times a day.
Not everyone will be able to do it that often. Aim for at least two or three sessions of about 20 minutes. This is basically dry breastfeeding. It may take weeks or even months for this to work, depending on your body and how often you do it. This is how to induce lactation if you do not want to take any medication or supplements.
If you do not have someone to help you, use your fingers to stimulate breastfeeding. Either way is conditioning your body to produce milk. This method takes a lot of patience but eventually, your body will understand what it needs to do.
How to Induce Lactation Using a Breast Pump
If you need to know how to induce lactation quickly, this section is for you. Using a breast pump is more effective if you have previously been pregnant until at least the second trimester. It is similar to the natural way but you use a pump instead of another human being. This way is very natural as well because you are not putting anything into your body.
To do this, you will need to pump a lot. In the first 48 hours, it is recommended to pump every two hours during the day and every three during the night. The Canadian Breastfeeding Foundation recommends that after this initial burst you reduce the number of pumping sessions a bit.
At this point, aim for 10-12 sessions of roughly 15 minutes each. Use a low or medium setting to prevent your breasts from getting too tender. There are many types of breast pumps on the market, both manual and automatic.
You can check bellow Best Breast Pump For Inducing Lactation.
- Award winning and best sellers. Recommended by nursing moms, magazines, celebrities Chrissy Teigen & John Legend, doulas and lactation consultants, just make sure you are getting only the original silicone breast pumps of haakaa international brand.
- Patented design. Pat. No. USD810,925S. Perfect for anywhere - haakaa breast pump cann fit anywhere you would like to discretely express or when you wake up in the middle of the night engorged.
- Extremely Soft,Comfortable and Safe, Approved FDA,100% high quality food grade silicone.Every mom wants green safely baby products and the hakaa pump is BPA PVC and Phthalate Free.
- Easy to use. Lightweight and Portable. Simply suction to your breast and let the pump do the work for you as it draws your milk using suction, or you can use it for letdown what would otherwise be lost in a breast pad as you breastfeed on the other breast. perfect for long distance trips, planes, car rides or anywhere you would like to discretely express silently and quickly.
- Safe for dishwasher and can be sterilized.No cords,batteries or assembly required. It's easy to clean and use.
- Most Value for Money Breastmilk Saver With Silicone Stopper - Silicone Manual Breast Pump collects "let-down" / breast milk leaks and relieves engorgement using pure natural suction pressure. Every ounce of breast milk is precious. Save it for your baby.
- Extremely Soft, Comfortable and Safe - High Quality Silicone breast pump. BPA Free and FDA Approved Food Grade Silicone. Lab tested and certified by Bureau Veritas which is a World Leader in Testing, Inspection and Certification.
- All-in-One - Complete set with Silicone Stopper, Air-Tight Vacuum Packaging, 1 x Dust Cover Lid, 1 x Luxury Pouch, 1 x Silicone Breast Pump and Full Color English Instructions, with Quality Hardcover Box packaging. Ideal as a baby shower gift for newborn mothers.
- Easy to use, Lightweight and Portable - Hands-free and saves breastmilk on the other side during breastfeeding. Very Lightweight and Perfect for travelling. Hassle free and fits perfectly into any handbag or diaper bag.
- Recommended by lactation nurses from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital (USA). #1 Silicone Manual Breast Pump in USA, UK & Canada.
You Can Also Read Here: Best Baby Bottle Reviews
Some adoptive mothers may worry that because they are postmenopausal they have no shot at inducing lactation. Thankfully, that is not the case. Even women who have had a hysterectomy can produce milk.
The only essential thing is having healthy breasts. The natural and breast pump options are both things that can be tried. If the woman wants to try prescription hormones, the process is slightly different.
For postmenopausal women, the hormone replacement therapy will require Yasmin (to add estrogen and progesterone) and domperidone.
According to the Midwifery Group in Canada, this needs to go on for a minimum of 60 days. This is known as the “menopause protocol” for induced lactation. This method is reported to have the best results when used in combination with a breast pump.
Tips for Success
When you have decided how to induce lactation, the most important thing is to start as soon as possible. The more time your breasts have to prepare, the better. Any breast milk made before the arrival of your baby can be stored. This built up supply will come in very handy while trying to establish breastfeeding.
When you get your baby, start attempting to breastfeed right away. Nothing will tell your breasts to produce milk more than having a baby latched on to them.
During this time, www.breastfeedingbasics.com recommends using a supplemental nursing system to ensure the baby is getting all the nutrition he or she needs.
A supplemental nursing system is a small tube that you tape near your nipple. It feeds the baby expressed breast milk while also stimulating milk production.
Even when your baby is with you and you have successfully induced lactation, keep using your breast pump. This will help your supply go up and make sure you have plenty of expressed milk on hand if needed.
It is entirely possible to induce lactation for an adoptive mother. The method that works best for you will depend on how comfortable you are with the different options.
It may take a combination of two or more methods to get the results you want. Patience and commitment are key. We hope this article helped teach you how to induce lactation.
Last update on 2019-04-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API